Creative Memories

Creative Memories
Welcome Back

Monday, March 8, 2010

Quilt progress

I've been busy with Derrick and his school work. He is trying to maintain a B average so he can get his license this summer.

I've also been working on creating some quilts. A quilt called "Girlfriends" has been created and quilted, I pick it up tomorrow. I made it for my best friend from college, Roslyn O'Connor. She doesn't know so it will be a surprise when I visit her this weekend.

I made my sister a simple quilt made out of florals and lavender dots. Her entire room is lavender so it should match nicely in her room. I put purple minky on the back so it will be great as a snuggle quilt.

I have created two for my home. One is bright pinks and hydrangeas and quilted with a beautiful flower paragraph. It is my snuggle quilt on my bed. But I must share it with Tinkerbelle and Scooby. They like to sit on it and look out the window in the search of birds. With the bright pink minky on the back it is quite warm and snugly.

The other is a blue brown hourglass quilt with minky on the back as well. It will be my snuggle quilt on the couch. I imagine I will be sharing it with Toby and he loves to curl up on the couch and take naps.

Finally, I made a brown tones quilt for my Aunt Betty Jane. I didn't want her to feel slighted as I made quilts for two of her daughters and 2 of her grandchildren. It was a simple 5 in blocks sewn together with 2 borders. I''m getting better at matching seams, my friend Susan who owns a local quilt shop told me she couldn't see any mistakes unless she looked very closely. What a nice pat on the back. She and Cheri have taught me most of the information about being a topper quilter. That is a person who makes the quilt top. Cheri is a long arm quilter, she actually sews the three layers together into a usable quilt. Then someone must bind the edges. Cheri has done many of mine, but with Aunt Betty Jane's I will do myself. I have to practice as it is expensive to have Cheri do it for me..

I am on track to make more than last year of 13. My sister Karen's quilt is in the process of being made. It started out as a block swap. So I picked a wonky square as the block. These blocks are not straight on purpose. My kind of quilt. You don't have to worry about matching blocks or each piece being straight. Well I'm on the way to making her a lap like everyone else. She decides she wants a KING size. The biggest I've ever made. I told her she would have it by Thanksgiving as I get tired of working on one project for that long. I have to work on others. As you have learned I like easy quilts. So this quilt will have to be done by early Sept. to be ready for that deadline. Karen always does have to be different!

The men in the family don't really want quilts, but I am going to make one for Derrick anyway. They don't know what they are missing.

Well I had a lovely b-day, I got to see Derrick, Ashlyn and Timonthy all on my bday. Ashlyn was passing through on her way to Fl for spring break. They had so much stuff they had to leave some at our house so they could get their stuff into Mary's trunk. You can imagine how much stuff 4 girls had to have for the trip.

No comments: